To avoid most crashes, these simple rules need to be followed on all group rides. Anybody that is found repeatedly not abiding by these rules will be removed from any GC Tri group ride:
1. Stay alert at all times. Look around – it is natural to stare at the wheel directly in front of you. Be sure to look ahead so that you can respond to any issues on the road or issues that may start ahead of you in a pace line.|
2. Follow the rules of the road. Do not run red lights or stop signs!
3. Lights until it is light enough at the start of our rides.
4. Announce if an intersection is clear before going through it.
5. Ride Single File when any traffic is nearby (specifically on River Rd.).
6. Hold your line; do not move from side to side.
7. Don’t overlap wheels; ensure your front wheel is never beside someone’s rear wheel.
8. Don’t look back!
9. Beware of pot holes in the road and announce them to the riders behind you.
10. Don’t brake unless absolutely necessary. If you need to brake, it is best to tether your front brakes and do not slam you rear break. If you need to slow down to stop, move to the outside of the group.
11. Pass carefully on the left and announce before you do so. NEVER pass on the right.
12. When riding in a pace-line move through at a steady pace and make sure you are clear of the front rider before pulling off. When on the front of the pace-line, keep the groups pace and do not surge your speed.
13. When in a pace-line, do NOT ride in the aero position.